Tuesday, July 17, 2007

On the Road Again


A candid photo of all the fun and excitement that the kids are having...



Chris and Cindy in front of the Natural Bridge

(This is from Monday)
Today, we had a huge travel day – 380 miles to get to Luray, VA. We started out the travel day by Tim reminding us that (for the 37th time) that the state troopers sit by the state borders and then replotting our course for the 39th time. He is thorough – we’ll give him that. Deb said she wasn’t feeling well – we knew that was true when we were able to pass by the 5th McDonald’s and she didn’t even turn the car around for an ice coffee.

As a travel break, we stopped at the Natural Bridge in Virginia. For those that haven’t been there, it is a very large arch that was formed by creek erosion that is big enough to drive a car across. George Washington carved his initials there in 1750. It is a picturesque setting with a meandering brook, waterfalls, and a replica of an Indian village. I tried to get the Park Rangers to sing Happy Birthday to Chris but they said they didn’t wear party hats in the 1700’s. BTW -Virginia is not for lovers – it is for hokey southern tourist attractions. When you purchase your Natural Bridge tickets, you are given add-on attractions like the Haunted House/Dinosaur Park, Wax Museum, etc. This would be like going to Pennekamp and buying an add-on ticket to see the seven headed crocodile. We arrived in Luray in pouring rain.

I got my first experience driving the RV as yesterday was the first day that I wasn’t living in a drug induced stupor. Leo, wow you should have told me about this before It wasn’t too bad and the refrigerator only flew open once while I was driving. I thought I was taking my turn on a nice easy stretch of I-81. Unfortunately an accident closed I-81 so some fast thinking took us on a tour of the back roads of Virginia. So now I am an RV pro.

We arrived in Luray in pouring rain (the first of the trip). I was able to convince Chris to upgrade our tent site to a camping cabin so we wouldn’t have to set up our tent in the rain. Much to my chagrin by the time we made it out to the camp site the rain had pretty much stopped but at that point Chris was not going to pry the cabin key from the death clutch I had on it. So we spent a glorious evening in AC, roof over our head comfort… Life is good….

Except for Deb – who now thinks she has strep throat – I’ll start looking in the yellow pages for a nearby walk-in clinic…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos!
What a shame that you gals are dropping like flies to various ailments. Hope everyone is on the mend.
Annabelle and I are in Ocean City, and like Katrina said, it's about 2 1/2 or 3 hours from DC. When and where is your destination in the Balto/DC area? It's a hike, for sure, but it would be a fun detour for you!
Kelsey has A's number, of course.
Keep on RVin'!
Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana
Antibiotics are a wonderful thing!! We are in Lothian, MD and as much as we would love to see you girls it's a bit too far for a jonesing for each other, though. Hope you two are enjoying your summer-in spite of some of us being a little under the weather we are having a great time. Miss you-Deb

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.